Thursday, February 24, 2011

P.E.D Peeve and AARP

      Shouldn't that say "Pet" peeve?  No I wrote it correctly and for those of you wondering what PED stands for, it means Portable Electronic Device.  I am not one to argue with current technology, some of the stuff out there is great.  However what kills me is the fact that 99.999% of passengers forget that there are different rules when it comes to flying. "Electronic books" for example,  the title says it all its ELECTRONIC, it must be turned off for the first portion of the flight.  Oh so your going to argue with me now? "That's my book I am reading!!"  Ok I understand that however the FAA doesn't.  In my book of rules I am to make sure all electronic equipment is turned off.  If I don't do my job, ill loose it.  Kudos to passengers who seriously try to find way to use PEDs when they know they are not suppose too.  On a flight not too long ago I was doing on of my pre departure cabin compliance checks.  I noticed a gentlemen holding the in flight magazine but when I walked by him he would quickly close it and look out the window.  That right there is a red flag.  So I walked away again and looked back.  This guy had propped his nooke kindle whatever in the in flight magazine making it look like he was reading the magazine when he was really using a PED.  I turned around.  Busted!!  Do you think I was born yesterday?  Do you think your the only person trying to sneak around the rules?  I just asked him to turn it off.  He looked at me like I had 3 heads and I spoke french.  Yes you I said turn off your electronic device!  Another personal favorite of mine is the ever so popular (especially with men) is texting from your crotch.  Yes I am serious!  I cant tell you how many times TODAY alone I caught passengers with their backberry iphone or whatever between their legs and watching them text.  Besides the fact your trying to draw attention to your crotch area I can see what you are doing.  Again I wasn't born yesterday.  I have been a flight attendant for 3 years I know what to look for.  I can tell when a passenger is annoyed by me telling them to turn your phone off, no all the way off.  But seriously if passengers would listen to the announcements and do as they are told, I wouldn't have to come around and baby sit you.  No phone call or text is THAT important!  If it is then lets go back to the terminal and you can take a later flight. 

     Now for a more funnier situation that happened today.  A record number (at least for me) of 6 seat duplications happened today. I was working in the back galley today and a girl about my age came back and said there is someone in my seat.  I told her just to hang out back here and we will get it sorted out once everyone is on board.  A couple of minutes later 2 more passengers came back and told me the same thing.  Okkkk this is odd but just hang tight and we will get this matter settled.  4 more passengers come to the back demanding answers on why their seats were taken.  Again I said we will get this figured out once everyone is on board.  One passenger said well what happens if there is no more seats.  I just told all 6 of them (mind you this is in my back galley where 2 people alone in there is a tight fit) to hang tight we will get this figured out when a gate agent comes on board the aircraft.  A little old lady (cute as could be) pulled out her boarding pass and AARP card and explained to me that its very important for her to get to XXX today for XYZ reason.  Woah, stop right there.  This grandma pulled out her AARP card?!  If she pulled out a $100 bill that would have been different but the AARP card?!  At that point the gate agent came on and said take any open seat.  All 6 found seats for the flight and no one was denied boarding.  A sassy bit of advice: Don't show me your AARP card!

No comments:

Post a Comment