Friday, February 11, 2011

Size matters!

     I know what your thinking, hey don't judge me!  But in this case size does matter.  Today at work the battle was the carry on verses the over head bin.  It should be simple, you board, you fly, you deplane.  Not so much!  Most airlines charge a check bag fee, not only does it make my job harder it puts stress on the poor overhead bin (which by the way do have a weight limit but hey who weighs their carry on bag anyway?). Since the airlines charge per bag most passengers choose to carry on.  Before I became a flight attendant I would always check my bag.  Its less for me to carry, but most passengers have a fear their luggage will be lost, or they don't want to pay the fee, or both.  It seems like the average traveler who doesn't travel once a week for business, packs everything but the kitchen sink.  While working today I got the typical "wow this plane is really small".  The plane I work on isn't small or big, its just right. All carry on bags fit in the overhead bin, when packed correctly.  If the bag is still too big, its getting checked (don't hollar at me its the FAA who decides this!). Yep its going outside, under the plane, and you will (I promise) see it again in baggage claim.  Yes I said it baggage claim.  However, the trick to making bag fit is taking  few things out.  Sometimes a shoe or big coat stuffed inside the bag makes the bag too wide for the overhead, so if you take something out your bag will more then likely fit.  Size matters!  Its not the plane that is too small, your carry on is too big!

No comments:

Post a Comment